II Timothy 2:11 Here is a statement you can trust: If we have died with him, we will also live with him. 12 If we persevere, we will also rule with him If we disown him, he will also disown us. 13 If we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself. 14 Keep reminding people of this, and charge them solemnly before the Lord not to engage in word-battles. They accomplish nothing useful and are a catastrophe for the hearers! 15 Do all you can to present yourself to God as someone worthy of his approval, as a worker with no need to be ashamed, because he deals straightforwardly with the Word of the Truth. 16 But keep away from godless babbling, for those who engage in it will only become more ungodly, 17 and their teaching will eat away at people like gangrene. Hymenaeus and Philetus are among these; 18 they have missed the mark, as far as the truth is concerned, by saying that our resurrection has already taken place; and they are overturning some people's faith. 19 Nevertheless, God's firm foundation stands, stamped with these words: "The Lord knows his own," and, "Let everyone who claims he belongs to the Lord stand apart from wrongdoing." CJB

25.6.10

Who's in Your Home?

This was on a blogger friends blog, she had read it in a newspaper
and it was submitted anonymously.

A few months before I was born
my Dad met a stranger who was
new to our small town.
From the beginning, Dad was
fascinated with this enchanting
new comer and soon invited him
to live with our family.

The stranger was quickly accepted and was
around to welcome me into the world a few months later.

As I grew up , I never questioned his place in my family.
In my mind he had a special niche.

My parents were complementary instructors: Mom taught me
the word of God, and dad taught me to obey it.

But the stranger? He was our story teller.
He would keep us spell bound for hours on end
with adventures, mysteries and comedies.

If I wanted to know anything about politics,
history or science, he always knew the answers about
the past,understood the present, and even seemed to be able
to predict the future!

He took my family to the first major league ball game.
He made me laugh, and he made me cry.
The stranger never stopped talking, but my Dad didn't seem to mind.

Sometimes Mom would get up quietly while the rest of us
were shushing each other to listen to what he had to say,
and she would go to her room and read her books.
( I wonder now if she ever prayed for the stranger to leave.)

Dad ruled our house hold with certain moral convictions,
but this stranger never felt obligated to honor them.
Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our home...
not from us, our friends, or any visitors. Our long time visitor,
however, got away with four letter words that burned my ears,
and made my dad squirm and my mom blush.

My Dad was a teetotaler who didn't permit alcohol
in the home, not even for cooking. But the stranger
encouraged us to try it on regular basis.
He made cigarettes look cool, cigars manly and pipes distinguished.

He talked freely ( much to freely) about sex.
His comments were sometimes blatant,
sometimes suggestive,and generally embarrassing.

I know my early concepts about relationships were influenced
strongly by the stranger. Time after time, he apposed the values
of my parents, yet he was seldom rebuked..... and never asked to leave.

More than fifty years have passed since the stranger
moved in with our family. He has blended right in
and is not as fascinating as he was at first.

Still, if you were to walk into my parents den today
you would still find him sitting over in his comer,
waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures.

His name? We just call him T.V.

(I'm happy to say that when we move next month, TV will not be coming with us!)

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Lori-Dawn =)

    To answer your question about tzitzi...

    The only advice I would give is this: Make them special to you. In the Torah we are given the instruction of making them, and including in them a blue thread, and wearing them. That's it. =) Simple, huh? There is no right way or wrong way. Just that you do so.

    I personally tied for myself tzitzi in a manner that was personal. I tied the name YHWH; Yud=5, He=10, Vav=6, He=5... each 5 times. I used 4 colors, each color a letter. And tied it the number it represents. Each colored tied in the manner as to "spell" out His name, 5 times. Representing the five books of Torah. The instructions of a Loving Father. Then I left the *unbound* part of my tzitzi the same length as the *bound* part. Representing to me that the Torah is the Law of Freedom. Also representing the Old and Renewed covenant. Freedom can only come from the Instruction of Freedom. We can't have the second part with out the first part. And one does not do away with the other. Also, The law and grace. We have grace as an enablement to fulfill the law (instruction). And the Torah (law, instruction) leading me to my Salvation, Yeshua... oh, I could go on and on... but see how personal my tzitzi are to me. I think that is the point though, right. They are mine, they are personal, they are a reminder unto me, and when I look upon them, or hold them, they are a reminder unto me. Personal, much like our relationship with Him. =0) (BTW... I also think that is why we are to "make for yourself", rather than buying them, or having them made for you...)

    So, my advice is to make them personal, in a way that allows you to look at them and remember :D Remember to do all of His mitvot, as a faithful lover of Yah. I don't think there is a right or wrong way. It took me a little while after understanding that we are actually suppose to do it today, before I did it. I wanted it to be a heart thing for me, and make sure I did not look good on the outside, and yet it not be an act of obedience out of love. I did not want to be a white washed tomb. So, I studied and waited until I knew my actions would be out of great love for Father's instructions, and not because I felt pressure from other T.O.B.Y's ... and I wanted my children to have the same kind of experience. When you know for yourself that it is part of who you are, no one can take that away from you. Where as if we are doing it because others are, we are no better than the Sheepeople who just do as they are told, that which we came out of... Does that make sense? You can not shake an experience. People will try, but when it is a part of you, it is of no benefit. Can someone tell you that your right pinky finger is not yours. That it is not part of who you are? =oD

    I hope this helps. Continue seeking Him who called you, and make every act of obedience one that is full of love and joy! Then it doesn't matter who is looking on, only that He is looking on!

    I did not mean to write a novel... Be encouraged!

    Love you, sister!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and reply to all questions! Did my post irk you, challenge you or encourage you? Let me know! Anonymous comments will not be published though, so don't forget to leave your name. Shalom!